Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 05-30-2019, 11:45 AM

Feature Request - local session control of executable

Feature Request: Ob the Mac version, when a "Local Shell" connection is created, allow the user the option to select the executable to be launched in the window. Right now, it runs the users shell (presumably from $SHELL), which is a good default, but it would be useful to be able to specify different shell, or a non-shell interactive executable, to be run in the window.

Presumably the request would apply to the Linux version also, although I have not used that version and do not know what its capabilities currently are.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:47 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi rbfnet,

I want to make sure that I have an accurate understanding of the feature that you would like implemented.

Can you please elaborate on the problem that you are trying to solve.

It sounds like you are connecting locally via SecureCRT and trying to run an executable, which is failing because the executable is not defined in the users shell.

Is that correct?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-30-2019, 01:01 PM

No. When I connect locally, I get a shell (say, tcsh, if that's my shell). If I then want to run a program (let's use "top" as an example), I can execute that command from the shell, and it will work.

But what I want to do is create a "top" session that will, instead of launching a shell in the window/tab that is created, launch "top". (Not launch a shell and then enter "top" on the command line of the shell -- I can already do that with scripting. I want to control the process that is executed.)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:24 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi rbfnet,

Thank you for clarifying!

I have submitted a feature request on your behalf to add the ability to choose the default local shell.

Should a future release of SecureCRT include this functionality, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include *"*Feature Request - Forum Thread #13571*"* in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730