Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 08-30-2017, 08:15 PM

Secondary log file

Hi,

Is it possible to have a selectable secondary log file created as required?

We perform router upgrades and as part of this we are required to log everything as well as perform pre-check and post-check comparisons.

Usually we:
Start logging a precheck file - run our pre-checks. Then stop logging the pre-check. This creates a pre-check log file.

We then start logging a run-time file. Run our upgrades. Then stop run-time log. This creates a run-time log file.

Then we start logging a post-check file. Run our post-checks.
This creates a post-check log file.

At the end of the process, we compare the pre and post check files.

It would be great to enable logging at the start of the session and have this run in the background for the entire time, then be able to click a "Logging button" which would allow a secondary "on demand" log file to be created until it is switched off.

Kind regards.
PH
Old 08-31-2017, 09:08 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi pencilhead,

SecureCRT does not currently support having two simultaneous log files.

I have recorded your idea in our database of SecureCRT feature requests so that the product director can evaluate it for possible inclusion in a future release.

Should a version of SecureCRT become available with this feature, we will be sure to let you know. If you would like to be notified directly please send an email to Support@VanDyke.com with "Attn: Eric Forum post 12797" in the subject line.

We do have a script available that attempts to provide the behavior you're looking for. I've included the script as an attachment. There are some limitations to this script, for
example it may not handle large amounts of data (thousands of line) well.

Using the provided script are you able to get the behavior you're looking for?

Another option may be to setup your log file names to use substitution options. It would look something like:

%Y%M%D_%h%m%s.%t_Log.txt

This ensures that each session would create a new log file, you could then right click on a session and choose Clone Session. This would open a new tab to the same device and create a new and separate log file. For your situation you would open a session to your device and it would automatically create a unique log file, when you wanted to have a separate log you would clone a new tab creating a new log file. At any time you could back to the original tab and resume logging to the same file.

Does this sound like an option that would work for you?
Attached Files
File Type: txt QuickLog(LogToAnotherFileWhileLoggingIsAlreadyActive).txt (10.6 KB, 343 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-04-2017, 01:01 AM

Hi Eric,

Thanks, I think the script will be ok. I'll have a play with setting up different session logs as well. Usually I turn on logging automatically when I start Secure crt and leave it on for entire session,
Old 09-05-2017, 08:29 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi pencilhead,

I'm glad I could help. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Tags
multiple log , secondary log