Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 06-29-2005, 03:42 PM

Can you export a list of FTP sites?

I have a list of FTP sites entered into SecureFX on a pc. We would like to export or share it with another copy of the software (we just purchased ). Is it possible and how?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:37 AM
VanDyke Customer Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsh
I have a list of FTP sites entered into SecureFX on a pc. We would like to export or share it with another copy of the software (we just purchased ). Is it possible and how?
Hi kevsh,

Yes, this is possible. As to how this is done, that depends on which versions of SecureFX you re working with.

In older versions of SecureFX (2.2.x and below), session information was stored in two files: SecureFX.idx & SecureFX.dat. These two files together comprised the session datase. In order to move these sessions to another system, you would have to copy these files to the second system and point SecureFX to their location. SecureFX would then use the new session database. Any sessions that the user previously had would be unavailable.

The default location for the SeucreFX.dat nd .idx files on a Windows 2000 system or above is:

C:\Documents and Settings\usernname\Application Data\VanDyke\SecureFX

In the current version of SecureFX (3.0) session information is stored as a series of .ini files. Each session has a single .ini file associated with it. In order to move the session to another system running SecureFX 3.0, you just need to copy the .ini files into SecureFX's Session folder. The location of ths folder depends on the version of Windows the system is running. On a system running Windows 2000 or above, this folder is located in the user's profile:
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\VanDyke\Config\Sessions
If you need to move the data from an older version of SecureFX to SecureFX 3.0, things become a little more difficult. The older format is not used by SecureFX 3.0, so the settings need to be migrated before they can be used.

Can you tell me which version or versions of SecureFX you are using?

What version of Windows is installed on the orignating system, and the target systems?

Thanks,

-bocks
Old 08-15-2005, 04:05 PM

Same problem

Hi there I've got the same issue. Moving from old Laptop to new one. Both are Windows XP Professional with all updates.

Old laptop has SecureFX 2.2
trying to get settings to my new machine:
New laptop has SecureFX 3.0.1 (current as far as I know)

Should I just revert back to the old version for now?

(registered user)
Ken Smith
Onkea Interactive Ltd.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:08 PM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hi onkea,
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkea
Hi there I've got the same issue. Moving from old Laptop to new one. Both are Windows XP Professional with all updates.

Old laptop has SecureFX 2.2
trying to get settings to my new machine:
New laptop has SecureFX 3.0.1 (current as far as I know)

Should I just revert back to the old version for now?
Not necessarily. If you already have SecureFX 3.0.1 installed, then you may be able to use the migrate command to migrate the sessions.

The first thing you will need to do is to locate the SecureFX.dat and SecureFX.idx files that hold your session information on the old system. To locate these files, look in the Options / Session database location menu. This will display a tree view of where the files are stored. Just navigate to this folder in Explorer. Once you have located these files, copy them to the new system. I would suggect putting them into a folder on the drive root, such as:
Code:
C:\temp
Before continueing, make sure the neither SecureFX nor the Activator is running at all. You may want to look at the Task Manager to verify this.

Once this is done, you will need to click on the Start button and then Run.

In the run dialog, type the following:

Code:
C:\Program Files\SecureFX\migrate.exe
Once the migrate window opens, hit next. In this window, it should show the current SecureFX installation location, and have a place to enter the directory path of the config that needs to migrated. In the second text box, type in the directory where the two SecureFX files reside and hit next:

Code:
C:\temp
You should then be prompted for the location of the new Configuration folder. Just accept the defaults for this and hit the Migrate button.

After the migration completes and you start SecureFX, you should see all of your old sessions.

Can you tell me if this is so?

If you encounter any problems, please let me know what they are, and at what point they appear.

Thanks,

-bocks
Old 08-15-2005, 11:32 PM

worked great!

Thanks for letting me know. It worked well. The first time I got an error saying the Config file for SecureCRT already existed (I had set it up and added one thing to the saved session) So I just took this folder out and it ran great!

thanks again - love your FTP and Telet clients
Ken