VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2005, 08:48 AM

poor reconnect ability

Hello, using SecureCRT5 I have seen a recurring problem. I often have at least 4 tabs open to different hosts, and I use a laptop. When I hibernate or disconnect from the network, reconnecting does not seem to work. The tabs will not time out, they will not connect. I cannot even close the individual tabs.
The tab seems to think it's connected, in that the disconnect button is available and pressing it or the close tab button prompts "do you wish to disconnect from ____?" but saying "yes" does nothing.
Ultimately I have to close the program and restart it, re-set up my tabs, and reconnect them one at a time.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:46 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Was the hibernation behavior better in previous versions of SecureCRT?

Maureen
Old 03-07-2005, 09:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to dcomo
Though I haven't tested SCRT on my laptop, I have had other experiences with running applications continuing to work properly after hibernation (or even a short sleep.)

Unfortunately, from my extensive research it turns out the the problem is not with the applications, it's actually how Windows hibernates. In addition to 'sleeping' your apps, it also needs to 'sleep' your hardware, which includes your network card. Depending on the network card, driver, version of Windows, etc. Windows occasionally has problems getting itself (and everything else) back to life.

I try my best never to use hibernation, and to just power down.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:32 AM

Hi Maureen:
The other versions of sCRT have had no issue with hibernation, nor does any other application on my laptop (IBM T30 w Win2K). Hibernation is an important part of life for a laptop, and not hibernating, is not an option. And all laptop hardware is well designed for hibernation - by design. Waking up the computer and hardware is not a problem. I can re-connect network connections in new instances of sCRT5, in putty, etc.
Other versions of sCRT have had no problems with hibernation - the network connection gets killed, it prompts me to reconnect when I wake up my computer.
Perfect example is right now. I am sitting here at my computer, on the main tab that I hibernated on last night. This one tab successfully reconnected, but I have 2 dead tabs that I cannot either close, reconnect or disconnect. To get rid of them, I will have to close the whole program, and re-open it.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:00 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Thanks for the additional information. I have added this to our development database so that we can look into it.

Maureen
Old 03-16-2005, 07:27 AM

Hello there:
The new beta seems to have improved my multiple tab connection issues, after coming out of hibernation. Yesterday morning I woke my computer up, and reconnected 5 tabs! This morning, however, I still got one hung session upon coming out of hibernation. Hopefully it will continue to improve!
Thank you for the progress!
...now if those user/pass dialog boxes would just have the same title as the session, I'd know which password to use..

Last edited by monitor35; 03-17-2005 at 07:57 AM. Reason: problem not solved, but improved