Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > File Transfer

Old 10-12-2009, 03:00 PM

6.5.0.300 Comments

Nice job on the tabs!

If the transfer queue is disabled and the remote window is maximized, the transfer dialog is shown maximized. This doesn't look right.
Is there a way to (globablly) disable text file conversion?
Is there a way to disable the per-window status bar?
The size of the recently used sessions list default to 4. Maybe 9 would be better?

Last edited by Olaf van der Spek; 10-12-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 PM

Hello Olaf,
Quote:
If the transfer queue is disabled and the remote window is maximized, the transfer dialog is shown maximized. This doesn't look right.
The transfer tab occupies the space that the remote tab occupied, even if the window is not maximized. Do you see the same behavior, or am I misunderstanding what you're referring to?
Quote:
Is there a way to (globablly) disable text file conversion?
Do you always want to transfer files with certain file extensions (such as .txt, .log, etc.) as binary?
Quote:
Is there a way to disable the per-window status bar?
Are you referring to the Status Bar that can be toggled in the View menu?
Quote:
The size of the recently used sessions list default to 4. Maybe 9 would be better?
This setting can be changed in Global Options / General / Recently used session list. If you change this then the setting should be saved until you change it. Is this what you're wanting, or are you saying it would be better for everyone if the default is 9 instead of 4?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 10-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
Hello Olaf,
The transfer tab occupies the space that the remote tab occupied, even if the window is not maximized. Do you see the same behavior, or am I misunderstanding what you're referring to?
Kinda. I closed the local window, but the behaviour is similar.
Quote:
Do you always want to transfer files with certain file extensions (such as .txt, .log, etc.) as binary?
I want to transfer everything as binary, regardless of extension.
Quote:
No, it's about the one that only says: "# entries".
Quote:
This setting can be changed in Global Options / General / Recently used session list. If you change this then the setting should be saved until you change it. Is this what you're wanting, or are you saying it would be better for everyone if the default is 9 instead of 4?
Yes, that's it.

Another default I think isn't right is the Log. Does it make sense to show it by default?
It also takes a long time to close the app. Like 5+ seconds. It used to be instant.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Kinda. I closed the local window, but the behaviour is similar.
I'm not sure my point was clear. With or without a local window, maximized or not maximized, the transfer status and information appears in a tab. The tab takes up the space alotted for the remote tabs. How would you prefer the transfer window to appear (as a popup, as a smaller tab, as a status bar indicator, etc.)?

Quote:
Quote:
I want to transfer everything as binary, regardless of extension.
I've added your request to our product enhancement database and we'll post a follow up message to this forum thread if this is implemented in a future version. Please let us know if you'd also like e-mail notification.

As an immediate workaround, set the Default transfer type to Binary in Global Options / File Transfer. This will make any transfer of unknown file types (files whose filename extension doesn't have a predefined transfer type) default to Binary. Next, open Global Options / File Transfer / File Types and delete every registered file type. A faster alternative is to modify the File Types.ini file and delete all entries. File Types.ini is located in the SecureFX configuration folder, as specified in Global Options / General.
Quote:
Quote:
No, it's about the one that only says: "# entries".[/QUOTE]Thanks for clarifying. I've added your request to our product enhancement database and we'll post here if we implement your suggestion. If you or anyone else would like notified via e-mail should this be implemented, let us know and refer to forum thread 4151.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that's it.
I've added your request to our product enhancement database. If the default is changed then we'll post a follow up message here. We'll probably need more than one request in order to make 9 the default, so if anybody else would like to see 9 (or some other number) as a default number of entries, please let us know and refer to forum thread 4151.

Quote:
Another default I think isn't right is the Log. Does it make sense to show it by default?
If you drag the log window's frame down to the bottom of the window, you won't see the log view. You're suggesting that we change a default so that nobody sees it by default, right?
Quote:
It also takes a long time to close the app. Like 5+ seconds. It used to be instant.
5+ seconds is a pretty long time. I'm not seeing the same behavior (it closes immediately when I click the 'X' button to close the window. We haven't had other reports of this as far as I can tell, so there may be a problem related to something specific about how you're closing, where your configuration folder is located, etc..
Where is your configuration folder located (local drive, network drive, USB, U3, etc..)?

Can you walk us through the steps you take to replicate the problem? For example:
  • Open SecureFX via Windows start menu
  • Connect to a single session
  • Click the red 'X' button to close SecureCRT
Old 10-14-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure my point was clear. With or without a local window, maximized or not maximized, the transfer status and information appears in a tab. The tab takes up the space alotted for the remote tabs. How would you prefer the transfer window to appear (as a popup, as a smaller tab, as a status bar indicator, etc.)?
Your point was clear. I'm not sure what would be better. The disadvantage of completely covering the window is that you have to switch back before you can do anything else.

Maybe a small status summary at the bottom of the window would be useful?
Quote:
If you drag the log window's frame down to the bottom of the window, you won't see the log view. You're suggesting that we change a default so that nobody sees it by default, right?
Yes, I am. BTW, View - Log works better for disabling.
Quote:
5+ seconds is a pretty long time. I'm not seeing the same behavior (it closes immediately when I click the 'X' button to close the window. We haven't had other reports of this as far as I can tell, so there may be a problem related to something specific about how you're closing, where your configuration folder is located, etc..
Where is your configuration folder located (local drive, network drive, USB, U3, etc..)?

Can you walk us through the steps you take to replicate the problem? For example:
  • Open SecureFX via Windows start menu
  • Connect to a single session
  • Click the red 'X' button to close SecureCRT
Yep, or Alt-F4. SCRT is similarly slow, although a bit faster. The config is pretty standard, just local disk. I did notice the app is using 100% CPU while it's 'closing'.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Your point was clear. I'm not sure what would be better. The disadvantage of completely covering the window is that you have to switch back before you can do anything else.

Maybe a small status summary at the bottom of the window would be useful?
I can add this as a feature request, but first wanted to mention that if you use the Transfer Queue (View - Transfer Queue) then the transfer tab doesn't appear. Would you still prefer a status summary at the bottom instead of the Transfer Queue window?

If so, would this summary be in the same tab (where the View - Log window pane currently is)?

Quote:
Yes, I am. BTW, View - Log works better for disabling.
You're right, View - Log is a better way to hide the window pane. That's a great tip - thanks for posting it.

I've added your request to our product enhancement request database.

Quote:
Yep, or Alt-F4. SCRT is similarly slow, although a bit faster. The config is pretty standard, just local disk. I did notice the app is using 100% CPU while it's 'closing'.
Does this delay in closing the application seem to depend on how long you have been connected?

Are both SecureCRT and SecureFX open when you close one of the applications, or does it happen if only SecureCRT or SecureFX are open?

Is there a delay if you close only a session tab rather than the entire application?

If there are no sessions open and you close the application do you see the delay when closing the application?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I can add this as a feature request, but first wanted to mention that if you use the Transfer Queue (View - Transfer Queue) then the transfer tab doesn't appear. Would you still prefer a status summary at the bottom instead of the Transfer Queue window?
The problem with the transfer queue window is that it takes up space even when no transfers are active and that transfers aren't done in parallel.
Quote:
If so, would this summary be in the same tab (where the View - Log window pane currently is)?
Yes.
Quote:
Does this delay in closing the application seem to depend on how long you have been connected?
Closing the app right away already causes the long delay.
Quote:
Are both SecureCRT and SecureFX open when you close one of the applications, or does it happen if only SecureCRT or SecureFX are open?

Is there a delay if you close only a session tab rather than the entire application?
I tested both with only one app open.

The delay doesn't happen when closing sessions.
Quote:
If there are no sessions open and you close the application do you see the delay when closing the application?
Yes.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Closing the app right away already causes the long delay.

Quote:

I tested both with only one app open.

The delay doesn't happen when closing sessions.

Quote:
Yes.
If you close all instances of both applications, rename your Global.ini file to something like Global.ini.bak, then repeat the steps that cause the delay (open and immediately close the application), is there a delay?

The Global.ini file is located in the configuration folder specified in Global Options / General.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:24 PM

Yes, about 10 seconds.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM

Thanks Olaf,

We may be getting somewhere. I think I already know the result of the next test, but I'd still like to make sure:
  • Can you close all instances of SecureCRT and SecureFX
  • Rename the configuration folder to something (say Config.bak)
  • Start SecureCRT
  • Close SecureCRT
  • Let me know how long it takes
Are you running an anti-virus program?

I've seen anti-virus programs not let go of applications that try to close.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:48 PM

SCRT takes 2 seconds, SFX takes 4 - 6 seconds. I'm not runnning AV.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:07 PM

Hi Olaf,

Thank you very much for running all the tests and providing answers to all the questions. We'll need to do some investigation here and see if we can replicate the problem.

In the meantime, if you're still using SecureCRT 6.5.0.300, that version is getting pretty dated. Could you test SecureCRT 6.5 beta 2 (current beta) and see if you get different results?

Also, could you let us know the operating system you're running?

If you have any other computers you could test on, does the same closure delay problem occur on another computer?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:53 PM

Good point about the version. I've installed b2 and it's fast again...
The OS is XP on VMware Workstation.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks Olaf,

Our developers suggested that the upgrade would probably fix the issue based on a related issue that was fixed prior to beta 2. Thanks for confirming!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
VanDyke Product Director

An option to force every file in a transfer operation to be transferred as binary or ASCII has been added to a pre-beta version of SecureFX. If you would be interested in trying it, please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen