Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > File Transfer

Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 AM

Need to get rid of "ASCII" transfer mode

Hi VanDykes,

there are posts from 2006 and 2007 dealing with the fact that it is't a bug but a feature, that SecureFX generates \r\r\n under certain circumstances when working in ASCII transfer mode. It is not regarded to be buggy (although even some C source code doesn't compile any more after that transformation) since there is some RFC that had been written in the middle ages.

Today, every LINUX vi is capable to handle DOS formatted files and every editor on Windows except the Windows editor is able to handle UNIX files.

So for me there is no reason at all to ever use ASCII transfer mode.

Unfortunately there are several hundreds of file associations in SecureFX, which may spoil txt, html and many other types. There is no way to set them ALL to BINARY, instead I would have to edit them one by one. On my PC at work, on the PC at my home office and on my netbook.

So for me the perfect solution would be to COMPLETELY get rid of ASCII mode. Even the popup, whether I would want to use ASCII or BINARY for an unknown file type is a mess, since it stops the transfer at file #1234 out of 9876 and makes it impossible to transfer bigger directories unattended.

Is there already a chance to do so or do I have a chance to see such an un-feature in one of the next releases?

Thank you for feedback & relief!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:48 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello AndreasLandgraf,

There are solutions to work around the various behaviors you report:

Quote:
So for me the perfect solution would be to COMPLETELY get rid of ASCII mode. Even the popup, whether I would want to use ASCII or BINARY for an unknown file type is a mess, since it stops the transfer at file #1234 out of 9876 and makes it impossible to transfer bigger directories unattended.
  • Set Default transfer type to Binary in the File Transfer category of SecureFX's Global Options

Quote:
Unfortunately there are several hundreds of file associations in SecureFX, which may spoil txt, html and many other types. There is no way to set them ALL to BINARY, instead I would have to edit them one by one. On my PC at work, on the PC at my home office and on my netbook.
  • With SecureFX closed, edit the FileTypes.ini, removing all but one entry. This will clear the list shown in the File Transfer / File Types category of Global Options

FileTypes.ini is found in the config folder. The location of the configuration folder is found in the General category of SecureFX's Global Options.

Additionally, I have added this thread to a feature request in our development database for a Global Option to specify binary or ASCII transfer for every file type. Should a future release of SecureFX include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #9018" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 07-09-2013, 10:42 AM
VanDyke Product Director

An option to force every file in a transfer operation to be transferred as binary or ASCII has been added to a pre-beta version of SecureFX. If you would be interested in trying it, please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen