Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 06-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Log File Data Variables

I would like to stimulate some conversation about custom log data substitutions.

Background:
I have made a previous post here:
http://forums.vandyke.com/showthread...7430#post17430

I would like more in the way of custom substitutions.
At the moment I use a Log File name like this:
C:\CustomerName\Logs\SiteName\%S\%Y-%M-%D %hh%mm%ss %S.log
The Session name was the subject of the post above.
The problem I have as described in the post referenced is that I rely on %S to:
- Affect my ability to use keytrokes to navigate quickly down to a session in the Connect dialog box; and
- Form part of the folder tree for logging my data.
At the moment it does not do both very well.

One solution would be an additional field(s) on the Session options for each session. Say a "Folder" field (in my case) or a "Parameter1" field for more general use. While we are about it why not a "Parameter2", ..."ParameterX". I am sure users will find way to use them . A %P1 custom substition would help me make a folder structure that is customized without relying on %S. It may help to understand my problem to check the post referenced above. There is a screenshot showng part of my Connect dialogbox. You can see I am prone to writing all kinds of notes in the Session name field. I also have multiple sessions for connecting to the same host. It makes my folder structure ugly. It also means if I edit the Session name log files for the same host then appear in a different folder. This makes going back to logs say months old a bit of a night mare. Again to give an idea of scale my log archive for 2008 is 4Gb, 4200 files and 500 folders.

One custom log variable I have looked into is the %enwar% field. I have not found any way to use it. It may be that I do not know enough about environment variables. (XP in my case). I know I can go to My Computer > Properties > Advanced and view/create them. There are none that I see that could be of any use to me. Any comments or suggestions here appreciated.

I presume there is no custom log variable to reference the parent folder that a given session is defined in?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:51 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi slouw,

If I understand, you'd like to use the parent folder to help specify the log file path. The reason this will help is because you have multiple sessions connecting to the same host, so the session name alone is not guaranteed to be unique.

Is this correct?

In another post you showed part of the Connect window, and a folder named CE was visible. If you're wanting the parent folder of a session within the CE folder (e.g.: c617cdn2), and the CE folder was directly under Sessions, then you'd like the Log file name to be the following?

C:\CustomerName\Logs\SiteName\CE\%S\%Y-%M-%D %hh%mm%ss %S.log

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 PM

Hi Brenda
Sorry for late reply.
Yes, using the parent folder to to help specify the log file path would be helpful. The reason you site is also true - though in my case that is not a problem for me. I have different session names for the same host quite happily. In fact I tend to use folders to reflect geographic groupings of hosts. So for example I might have a folder "Sydney" with sessions configured under that folder for hosts that are physically located at that site. There would typically be 2 or more sessions defined for each host there. I can see where you are coming from though, and if a custom parameter for parent folder was available it could be used in the way you suggest.
Let me go a bit high level. I want to have a log file structure that reflects my Session structure. And I want to automate the setting up of the logging so ideally when I create a new session the custom parameters automatically create the logs in the right place reflecting the new session in the session hierarchy.

Maybe it would be best if I gave an example. I use folders and session names in different ways but mostly around the following.

The logfile path for all sessions is:
D:\CustomerName\Logs\Capalaba\%S\%Y-%M-%D %hh%mm%ss %S.log

If this was something like
D:\CustomerName\Logs\%F\%S\%Y-%M-%D %hh%mm%ss %S.log
Where %F was the parent folder well that would be smart and lazy
Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi slouw,

Thanks for the clarification.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our development database for a new substitution parameter (%F) to indicate the path to the session's subfolder (for logging purposes). Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #3653" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 01-04-2017, 03:25 PM
VanDyke Product Director

A new substitution parameter %F has been added that can be used to specify the session's subfolder in a log filename. This has been implemented in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you'd like to try it, please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen