Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 12-20-2010, 12:45 PM

Change in the session.Connect

I have a script which I've been using for long time. At some point the functionality of this script seemed to change and I think it was with the upgrade to 6.6.1. I'm running release 6.5.0 on another PC and the script works fine.

The script checks for a crt.Session.connected and exits with an error message if it is.

It would then execute this command string:

crt.session.Connect(" /LOG " & chr(34) & LogName & chr(34) & " /telnet " & HostName)

In the older release, if there was a tab with an unconnected session, it would use that tab.

In release 6.6.1, it seems to always open a new tab and tries to use that even though the script is still waiting on the crt.session.connect to complete in the first tab. The only way it will run is if I start up SecureCRT without any tabs open.

Is this a known functionality change?

Any suggestions on how to easily handle this? I played with the ConnectInTab command functionality, but the changes would be huge for this script.

I just want it to work the way it used to...

Thanks,

Wes

Last edited by WesR; 12-21-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Hi Wes,

I wrote a test script based on the description you provided, and it did reveal that 6.5 ignored the "Reuse disconnected tabs" Global Options and always used them. I'm not sure whether this would explain the difference you're seeing though, so I would like to see your script.

Can you post your script, or send it to support@vandyke.com with subject line including forum 6643?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 12-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Thanks Michael,

I does sound like you might have found the same thing.

Because my script contains a lot of information about connecting to our customers, I cannot provide it even though I'm sure it would be secure. I will see if I can come up with something simple that demonstrates the problem and provide that instead.

Wes
Old 12-21-2010, 05:19 PM

Thanks Wes,

A simple example from you would be great, but maybe it's more important to focus on getting something that works for you. The problem you're facing is SecureCRT is opening a new tab all the time in SecureCRT 6.6.

Is Reuse disconnected tabs enabled or disabled for you in Global Options / Terminal / Tabs?

If you toggle the setting then run the script do you get the behavior you want?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 AM

Hey Michael,

I think you nailed it. At some point, the "Reuse disconnected tabs" got cleared. Once I set this, the script works fine. Don't know if this is something I cleared or if it occurred during the upgrade, but at least I will know how to fix it if it happens again or on someone Else's.

Thanks again,

Wes
Old 12-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Hello Wes,

Thanks for confirming the solution. Upgrading SecureCRT should never modify your Global Options or Session Options. However, sometimes the behavior between versions may change. In this case, SecureCRT 6.5 did not use the Global Options setting, but 6.6 does. More generally, we have received requests for SecureCRT scripts to honor Global Options settings, and received other requests not to honor the settings, so there may be a larger over-riding question at stake about how scripting should interact with the GUI interface options. For now, I'm glad you know the workaround.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 AM

Hi Wes,

We have a pre-release version (6.6.1 build 336 and newer) in which the 6.5 behavior you were accustomed to has been restored. I know that you now have a workaround, but if you would prefer the previous behavior and want to use the newer pre-release version, please let us know and refer to forum thread 6643.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks again Michael,

Wes