VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2005, 12:44 AM

Location: Sonoma County, California, United States of America
(very) slow startup scrt beta 5

not sure what changed, but since upgrading from the last beta to beta 5, the initial startup of secureCRT is incredibly slow. the previous beta (and all previous betas, as well as releases) typically go from 'click' to open scrt window in under two seconds, typically. now, it's more than ten seconds. just timed a fresh instance - eight seconds. i ran the installer again just in case something went wrong, no change. i've no clue why this would be, however there's been no other changes on my machine.

thoughts? anyone else experience this?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to dcomo
Paul,

I am not seeing this, nor have I seen this with any of the previous alpha's or betas. What I would recommend is the following:

- Once you click the icon to open the program, take a look within the Task Manager and see if there are any programs (such as SCRT) taking up a majority of the processor. The problem may not be with SCRT, it may actually be with another app 'just causing problems'...

- You may want to try and complete uninstall of the SCRT and then a fresh install. Though there is usually not a problem installing _over_ a previous version, it is sometimes a good idea to uninstall and then re-install fresh.

Good Luck and post your feedback to this thread.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:11 PM

I am also seeing this. Sometimes it can take FAR beyond 10 seconds to start up though. In addition, when it finally does start, the application icon in the taskbar is missing.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:30 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Thanks for reporting this. I have also received a couple of reports from people who say it's not showing up at all, but perhaps it's just taking a really long time. We're looking into this. I'll let you know what we find out.

Some additional information that would be helpful:

- How are you launching SecureCRT (e.g., from a shortcut, from the Start menu, etc.)?
- Are you using the Activator?

Maureen
Old 05-18-2005, 11:19 AM

I am not using the Activator, and it is either launched by double-clicking on a Desktop Shortcut, or single-clicking the Quicklaunch shortcut. Both methods produce the same results.

Hopefully a solution can be found, as this hasn't happened at all in any of the prior betas.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen
Thanks for reporting this. I have also received a couple of reports from people who say it's not showing up at all, but perhaps it's just taking a really long time. We're looking into this. I'll let you know what we find out.

Some additional information that would be helpful:

- How are you launching SecureCRT (e.g., from a shortcut, from the Start menu, etc.)?
- Are you using the Activator?

Maureen
i launch SCRT via a shortcut in the quicklaunch bar. i used to launch all my sessions from there, but now i just launch a handful of my 'main' sessions from there, then the rest i open as tabs. the tabs open at 'normal' speeds, like the good old days. i've never used the activator.

the sluggishness isn't due to any other running programs, i.e. there's nothing else sucking up resources that would cause this - otherwise, any other program i opened would show the same behaviour, and that's not the case.

for reference:

Athlon 2600+, 1.5G ram, plenty of disk space, Windows XP SP2 fully up to date on all patches, sygate personal firewall - windows firewall disabled, AVG antivirus, symmetric 2Mbit fixed wireless point-to-point connection to the net (4ms latency, so no problem there either). DNS resolver onsite. can't think of any other info that might be relevant.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:19 PM
VanDyke Product Director

We have created an instrumented build to help track down this problem. If you're seeing this problem, please send an e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Thanks,
Maureen
Old 05-18-2005, 05:46 PM

I wrote the following to Maureen, not sure if this is helpful or not:

while preparing to install the new version, i decided to turn off as many of the 'doodads' i always have running in the systray, to make sure none of them were causing the problem. after doing so, i fired up SCRT from quicklaunch icon, and it started at normal speed. flummoxed, i decided to reboot, and then was planning on shutting down the systray programs one by one to find the culprit. however, without turning any of them off, i'm now not experiencing the problem. i've no idea what to make of this, but i presume my output won't help now since i'm not having the problem. the only thing i can think of is that i hadn't rebooted in a while - maybe scrt needs a reboot after being installed?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:26 PM

the slow start caused by crazy registry scan
don't known why SCRT _must_ scan whole HKCR.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:24 PM

since my post yesterday, i've noticed that the longer my machine is up, the greater the tendency for scrt to take a long time to start up. so i'm going to install the special build and send the results in to vandyke.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:07 PM
VanDyke Product Director

A fix is available for this problem. If you would like to try an interim build, please send e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com and let me know if you need CRT or SecureCRT and/or SecureFX.

Maureen
Old 06-23-2005, 09:36 AM

Same type of response

Does this also impact the 4.1 version? I have my configuration files located on a Network Share and I synchronize with my laptop. Its my offline folder directory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:48 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponxlogan
Does this also impact the 4.1 version? I have my configuration files located on a Network Share and I synchronize with my laptop. Its my offline folder directory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The issue discussed in this thread was specific to SecureCRT 5.0 beta 5. If you're having a similar problem in 4.1, please send an e-mail to support@vandyke.com so that our technical support group can work with you on it.

Maureen
Old 05-31-2006, 06:49 AM

Exclamation

Hello Maureen,

I do experience this as well for a quite long time but never had/took the time to track the issue.

My secureCRT version is 5.1.2 (build 274).

The problem occurs when I do start the securecrt.exe (even if it is a second instance). The elapsed time before the window appears is about 20secs.

I get the same elapsed time if, for an opened session, I go to session options, change something and click OK.

As usual, I'm ready to beta test anything (coming from you ),

Best regards,

Pierre.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:05 PM

Hi Zorglups,

We are investigating these reports of slow start-ups with SecureCRT.

I just had one question:

Is the configuration folder for SecureCRT local or on a network share?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren