VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2005, 02:19 PM

Vshell and SSH

I am confused about what I need to use with vshell to transfer files using SCP. I understand that vshell uses SSH, private and and public keys, and supports SCP. The file will be coming from a unix machine, and the machine that will be recieving the file is a windows 2002/3 server. Vshell is installed on the windows machine. My question is do I need something else on the machine Vshell is installed on to receive files via SCP?

Thanks,
Randy

Last edited by Randy J; 12-09-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:51 PM

Hi Randy,

VShell does not support SCP.

This has been something that has been requested to be added to VShell but it is currently not on the development roadmap.

However, this may change in the future.

I have added this forum thread to this request so a post can be made here if it is added.

It is possible to do SCP transfers after getting shell access.

However, the remote machine must support SCP natively (as most Linux/Unix servers do) or have an application installed to accept these transfers.

Does this information help?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 12-09-2005, 03:02 PM

Hi Teresa,
I read in the FAQ for Vshell that SCP is supported (http://www.vandyke.com/products/vshell/faq/003.html).

Vshell server is installed on a windows machine, so it does not have native SCP. Will installing OpenSSH be required for the windows machine to accept SCP file transfers?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 12-12-2005, 06:19 AM

Hi Randy,

Actually, that FAQ is referring to the fact that VShell will work with the SCP clients that also support SFTP.

There are a couple of SCP clients that can also perform SFTP transfers. It is only the ones that support SFTP that will work directly with VShell since VShell only supports SFTP as the file transfer method.

We have received reports from some individuals that have been able get SCP working when connected to VShell on Windows machines without using OpenSSH/Cygwin but we have unable to verify any of these configurations.

However, VShell will not log anything for the actual transfer of the file using SCP since VShell is not controlling the transfer (SCP is really a remote execute operation) nor will any of the file transfer triggers work for the same reason.

If you do get SCP working, please note that SFTP roots will not apply to SCP file transfers, and you will not be able to restrict VShell access to file transfer only (remote execute for SCP will allow shell access).

Does this help to clarify the FAQ?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren

Last edited by tnygren; 12-12-2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:18 AM

I think it does clear it up. Thanks Teresa.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:34 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed update. VShell has supported SCP since version 3.0 (mid-2007). Current release is v4.2.x. Current and past VShell installers are found on our website here.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730