Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 04-04-2013, 03:07 PM

Multiple sCRT windows in v7.x

I have been using SecureCRT for many years and always like the upgrades. I just purchased the upgrade myself, instead of waiting for my company get it for me, because I saw that the ability to have multiple sessions open in one window is now available. I love this feature, but it seems like this feature was just thrown in without much thought. The behavior just seems somewhat odd to me. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the order in which the windows are displayed when using H or V-tile. If I re-arrange them, then exit and come back in, they are all out of order again. I did mention this in another post, but wanted to bring it up again.

Another thing I have been missing since upgrading is the ability to have multiple sCRT windows open at once. What I mean is, in previous versions I could have x number of sCRT windows open that have any number of tabs open at one time. With v7.x, I can only have 1 main window open with all of my tiled windows within it. I have different types of network elements and like to keep them organized together so I can use the chat window to send commands to all tabs of that specific network element type. I have not found a good way to do this in v7.x. I often have 20+ devices that I am connected to and having that many sessions tiled into one window is very difficult to manage.

The active session tile is very hard to spot due to the very slight color variance between the title bar of the active session vs. the inactive sessions. It would be nice to be able to change the color of the active session's title bar.

Lastly, I would like to see the ability to be in one of the the tiled sessions and be able to hit something on my keyboard which would "maximize" that session, then repeat to "restore" that session into the tiled window. I have dug around and been unable to find a solution to this issue.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello Marc,

Quote:
I have been using SecureCRT for many years and always like the upgrades. I just purchased the upgrade myself, instead of waiting for my company get it for me, because I saw that the ability to have multiple sessions open in one window is now available. I love this feature, but it seems like this feature was just thrown in without much thought. The behavior just seems somewhat odd to me. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the order in which the windows are displayed when using H or V-tile. If I re-arrange them, then exit and come back in, they are all out of order again. I did mention this in another post, but wanted to bring it up again.
I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to remember the tiled window positions. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

Quote:
Another thing I have been missing since upgrading is the ability to have multiple sCRT windows open at once. What I mean is, in previous versions I could have x number of sCRT windows open that have any number of tabs open at one time. With v7.x, I can only have 1 main window open with all of my tiled windows within it. I have different types of network elements and like to keep them organized together so I can use the chat window to send commands to all tabs of that specific network element type. I have not found a good way to do this in v7.x. I often have 20+ devices that I am connected to and having that many sessions tiled into one window is very difficult to manage.
What operating system is SecureCRT running on?

What version of SecureCRT are you using?

The default behavior does still allow you to have multiple instances of SecureCRT running.

Quote:
The active session tile is very hard to spot due to the very slight color variance between the title bar of the active session vs. the inactive sessions. It would be nice to be able to change the color of the active session's title bar.
I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to highlight active tile with color. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification for either feature request, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #10974" in the subject line.

Quote:
Lastly, I would like to see the ability to be in one of the the tiled sessions and be able to hit something on my keyboard which would "maximize" that session, then repeat to "restore" that session into the tiled window. I have dug around and been unable to find a solution to this issue.
You can use Alt+- to get to the system menu of MDI child windows. You can then hit the appropriate character for Restore (R), Minimize (N) and Maximize (X).

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-04-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgagnon View Post
Hello Marc,
I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to remember the tiled window positions. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.
Thank you.

Quote:
What operating system is SecureCRT running on?

What version of SecureCRT are you using?

The default behavior does still allow you to have multiple instances of SecureCRT running.
In older versions of sCRT, ALT-N used to open in a new window, but now just opens in the existing window. I have Windows 7 and have sCRT "PINNED" to the task bar, so clicking it a second time only minimizes it. I guess I will have to create a shortcut, though it would be nice if they put the functionality back in. I can't think of any reason to have ALT-B (open in tab) to have the same functionality as ALT-N (open). Seems a bit redundant.

Quote:
I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to highlight active tile with color. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.
Thanks.

Quote:
You can use Alt+- to get to the system menu of MDI child windows. You can then hit the appropriate character for Restore (R), Minimize (N) and Maximize (X).

Is there any way to map this to an individual key-press or do a macro that will check if maximized, then minimize and vice versa? I've been poking around the web looking and haven't come up with anything yet. Everything says to use sendkeys with % to send an alt so I tried using crt.Screen.Sendkeys "%-" in a script and it does nothing. Tried it with "%b" to see if it would open a connect in tab/tile window, but it doesn't.

Thanks for your response!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Hello Marc,

Quote:
In older versions of sCRT, ALT-N used to open in a new window, but now just opens in the existing window. I have Windows 7 and have sCRT "PINNED" to the task bar, so clicking it a second time only minimizes it. I guess I will have to create a shortcut, though it would be nice if they put the functionality back in. I can't think of any reason to have ALT-B (open in tab) to have the same functionality as ALT-N (open). Seems a bit redundant.
Disable Open in a tab in the Connect dialog and Alt-N should give you the prior behavior.

Quote:
Is there any way to map this to an individual key-press or do a macro that will check if maximized, then minimize and vice versa? I've been poking around the web looking and haven't come up with anything yet. Everything says to use sendkeys with % to send an alt so I tried using crt.Screen.Sendkeys "%-" in a script and it does nothing. Tried it with "%b" to see if it would open a connect in tab/tile window, but it doesn't.
I will have to check about a shortcut. I would have expected that to work in a script.

Still need the question regarding what version you are using answered so I can test in the same version.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I'd like to add my support for implementation of such a feature (as I've come here looking for how to achieve this).

Ideally I'd like to be able to set up a window with tiled child windows and save that as a session. When that session is opened at some time in the future, main application window would open in the same position with the child windows tiled in the same layout within the application window.

Would also be nice if a script could be attached to each child window to be executed when it opens though this may be asking for a bit much :-)

Ultimate goal would be to have a desktop shortcut that launches SecureCRT with the multiple tiled windows opening in the same positions and the scripts starting and configuring the monitors that run in those windows. e.g., I monitor one client where I always open a CRT window with 3 tiled windows; one running "top", one running "multitail" to monitor a log file, and one for entering commands.

Great product and keep up the good work. Been using CRT for around 15 years now!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Hello Marc,
Disable Open in a tab in the Connect dialog and Alt-N should give you the prior behavior.
Thanks! I knew it had to be something stupid. The check box is only there if doing ALT-N and I just wasn't seeing it tucked away in the bottom right.

Quote:
I will have to check about a shortcut. I would have expected that to work in a script.

Still need the question regarding what version you are using answered so I can test in the same version.
I am using Windows 7 64-bit and sCRT 7.0.3 bundled with sFX.

Thank you,
Marc
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Hello Peter,

Quote:
Ideally I'd like to be able to set up a window with tiled child windows and save that as a session. When that session is opened at some time in the future, main application window would open in the same position with the child windows tiled in the same layout within the application window.
The above description sounds like a different feature request to me. I was tempted to move this to a new thread, but I am betting it would benefit Marc as well, so I will leave it here.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to add support for tab/tile groups. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #10974" in the subject line.

Having used SecureCRT for 15 years, I assume you know that some of what you mentioned in the additional explanatory paragraphs is currently possible, although obviously not the remember tile positions portion.

For the benefit of others that might read the thread though, I will be a bit more specific.

Quote:
Ultimate goal would be to have a desktop shortcut that launches SecureCRT with the multiple tiled windows opening in the same positions and the scripts starting and configuring the monitors that run in those windows. e.g., I monitor one client where I always open a CRT window with 3 tiled windows; one running "top", one running "multitail" to monitor a log file, and one for entering commands.
In the General / Default Session category of SecureCRT's Global Options are two applicable configuration options:
  • Remember and connect to sessions from last use
    or
  • Use auto session

Quote:
Would also be nice if a script could be attached to each child window to be executed when it opens though this may be asking for a bit much :-)
With respect to running a script or configuring the monitors, which I interpret as sending some commands to the remotes, this can be achieved via session-level configuration options (Connection / Logon Actions category of Session Options).

There are two applicable options here as well:
  • Automate logon
  • Logon script

Quote:
Great product and keep up the good work. Been using CRT for around 15 years now!
Thanks for the positive feedback. We appreciate your loyalty!

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 04-05-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: clarified
Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM

Hi Marc,

Quote:
I think I can help with the keymap part of this, but as far as checking if the current state is minimized or maximized, you are on your own.

The SecureCRT SendKeys method is only applicable to the active window, but you can use WScript's SendKeys method to accomplish the objective. (We have Jake to thank for this tidbit.)

Code:
Set gShell = CreateObject("wscript.shell")
gShell.SendKeys "%-" & crt.Arguments(0)
Since you want to accomplish multiple tasks (Minimize, Maximize, Restore), you might map three buttons/keys with the appropriate argument passed to the script instead of a literal.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Hi Marc,
Code:
Set gShell = CreateObject("wscript.shell")
gShell.SendKeys "%-" & crt.Arguments(0)
This works perfect. I just created a couple script files and mapped my keyboard to point to them for Maximize and Restore. I'm not even going to pretend I'm smart enough to figure out how to have it toggle between "max" and "restore" on my own...

Thanks!
Marc
Old 04-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Hi Marc,

Great, I am glad to hear you were able to get it partially working.

I figured one more feature request won't hurt.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to add Show method/State property for Tab object (similar to what is available to Window object). Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #10974" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730