Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM

A couple of questions

I have just upgraded from sCRT 6.x to 7.0.3. I love the ability to tile multiple windows, but am having difficulty with placement. I can't seem to get them to open in the order that I want them on my screen. I have tried to save the sessions and such, but when I exit and relaunch, the tiles are out of order again. Is there an easy way to do this?

My other issue, which I have a work-around, but would like to know if there is also an easier way... The equipment that I log into and work on every day requires everything to be typed in ALL CAPS. I was unable to find a way to set all caps, like in many Telnet/SSH applications, so I remapped my keyboard, which took quite a while to do. Is there an easier way to do this?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Hello,

Quote:
I have tried to save the sessions and such, but when I exit and relaunch, the tiles are out of order again. Is there an easy way to do this?
When tiling, you're wanting a way to save window placement?

Can you describe the how you relaunch each connection? For example, are you using any of the Auto session startup options in Global Options / General / Default Session, or do you have a shortcut which starts each session (using /S), or do you manually start each session one at a time?

Quote:
I was unable to find a way to set all caps, like in many Telnet/SSH applications, so I remapped my keyboard, which took quite a while to do. Is there an easier way to do this?
Did you map the keyboard through a .key keymap file, or through Session Options / Terminal / Emulation / Mapped Keys?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Hello,

When tiling, you're wanting a way to save window placement?

Can you describe the how you relaunch each connection? For example, are you using any of the Auto session startup options in Global Options / General / Default Session, or do you have a shortcut which starts each session (using /S), or do you manually start each session one at a time?
I am using Global Options / General / Default Session / Use Auto Session. I have added my 5 sessions to that list and they do not launch in the order I put them in.

Quote:
Did you map the keyboard through a .key keymap file, or through Session Options / Terminal / Emulation / Mapped Keys?
To remap the keys to UppErCaSe, I went to Session Options / Terminal / Emulation / "Select an alternate keyboard emulation" / and created a .key file with the following in it:
N VK_A "A"
N VK_B "B"
N VK_C "C"
N VK_D "D"
N VK_E "E"
N VK_F "F"
N VK_G "G"
N VK_H "H"
N VK_I "I"
N VK_J "J"
N VK_K "K"
N VK_L "L"
N VK_M "M"
N VK_N "N"
N VK_O "O"
N VK_P "P"
N VK_Q "Q"
N VK_R "R"
N VK_S "S"
N VK_T "T"
N VK_U "U"
N VK_V "V"
N VK_W "W"
N VK_X "X"
N VK_Y "Y"
N VK_Z "Z"

This seems like the long way around, but it works. Only problem is that sometimes when in these network elements, we have to send something in lower case and it is very frustrating having to disable the keymap to send one character.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I am using Global Options / General / Default Session / Use Auto Session. I have added my 5 sessions to that list and they do not launch in the order I put them in.
I've added a request for the ability to save window placement when tiling. We'll post a follow up message to this forum thread if we add this to a future release. If interested in receiving e-mail notification should this feature be added, please let us know and refer to forum thread 10961.
Quote:
To remap the keys to UppErCaSe, I went to Session Options / Terminal / Emulation / "Select an alternate keyboard emulation" / and created a .key file with the following in it
I think that's the most efficient method since you can create the file once and reuse it as the keymap file for multiple sessions.

Why isn't Caps Lock on your keyboard sufficient?

Quote:
it is very frustrating having to disable the keymap to send one character.
I can imagine! What if you could create a button to run a script that asks for input, and then the script sends what you type?
Code:
'Simple SendData.vbs example, gets text from input box and sends to remote
strSendString = crt.Dialog.Prompt("Enter characters/string to send:", "Send Lower Case", "", False)
Set objCurrentTab = crt.GetActiveTab()
objCurrentTab.Screen.Send strSendString
Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Because I am constantly switching between my sCRT window and our customer support site to put notes in tickets and everyone complains that you are YELLING at them if you use caps lock...If they only knew!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Because I am constantly switching between my sCRT window and our customer support site to put notes in tickets and everyone complains that you are YELLING at them if you use caps lock...If they only knew!
THANKS! I knew you'd have a good reason.

What do you think about using a simple script to send lower case text?

I think mapping a button in the Button Bar would be the fastest way to run the script. We have a YouTube SecureCRT Button Bar video if you're interested in seeing a little more.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
What if you could create a button to run a script that asks for input, and then the script sends what you type?
Code:

'Simple SendData.vbs example, gets text from input box and sends to remote
strSendString = crt.Dialog.Prompt("Enter characters/string to send:", "Send Lower Case", "", False)
Set objCurrentTab = crt.GetActiveTab()
objCurrentTab.Screen.Send strSendString
I'm just a switch technician, not a programmer! Anywho, I copied your script and created a vbs file with it and assigned it to a key and it works! I'm sure if I took the time to learn VBS, it would be well worth it. There are hundreds of things I'd love to have automated!

Thanks!!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:22 PM

Sounds good - I'm glad to hear that worked!
Quote:
I'm sure if I took the time to learn VBS, it would be well worth it. There are hundreds of things I'd love to have automated!
Yes.
Automation is very worthwhile and can be pretty easy with SecureCRT.

A great way to get started with scripting is to look at the SecureCRT Scripting Manual. The manual contains examples and explanations about the code.

There's also the SecureCRT Script Recorder in the Script menu which can help you get started.

The Scripting Forum with Example Scripts is another good resource.