Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-25-2011, 03:34 AM

Send String Button CTRL+ALT+F10

Hi there,

I have already searched the forum, but I am still confused and couldn't find a solution.

Ok so here is my background, I totally have no clue of Linux and now I have a FCoE target emulation software which unfortunately runs Linux. I need access to the Live Debug Screen which is accessible via the key combination CTRL+ALT+F10. I would like to have a button executing exactly this key combination so I don't have to remember it.

I know that octal notation is used and I found the following info in the web:

http://brebru.com/asciicodes.html
EXTENDED ASCII KEYBOARD CODES
Certain keys cannot be represented by the standard ascii codes. To represent the codes, a two-character sequence is used. The first character is always an ASCII NUL (0). The second character and its translations are listed in the following table. Some codes expand to multi-keystroke characters.

So from my point of view I need 163 (CTRL) and 161(ALT+F10) but I am not sure how to deal with statement "the first character is always an ASCII 0".

Could someone help me on this and post the complete string that is needed for my button.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Klefisch
Old 11-25-2011, 02:03 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Klefisch,

I am not sure what you hope to accomplish can be done.

The alt-sysrq mechanism is a kernel-mode mechanism such that the remote kernel intercepts keyboard events on its local console. Low-level keyboard events cannot be simulated by SecureCRT, or any other terminal emulator because of the nature of what a terminal emulator is and does. Terminal emulators send characters to the remote host, they don't produce kernel-level keyboard events.

Could you explain in further detail what the FCoE target emulation software is and how Ctrl-Alt-F10 is used?

Perhaps there are others in the user community who have been able to determine what characters are sent by the key combination and successfully been able to map this in SecureCRT.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 12-02-2011, 01:49 AM

Hi,

sorry for my late reply.
Let's ease things a little bit and forget the FCoE stuff I mentioned before.

I have a Linux console to which I connect via SSH. Now I need to execute the CTRL+ALT+F10 shortcut which is a standard shortcut used on Linux as far as I can trust my google search.

Per default SCRT is not able to pass this key combination through to the console. My question is if I can use Keymap Editor to work around this problem.

And if it's possible via Keymap Editor it should also be possible via using the send string from the keymap editor as a send string for a button right?

Hope things aren't confusing anymore and you can help me on this.

Thx!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello Klefisch,

It is not possible to generate keyboard events remotely (like Ctrl-Alt-F10) to trigger kernel level activities like accessing what you refer to as the "Live Debug Screen".

Does running the 'dmesg' command provide you with the same information that Ctrl-Alt-F10 would provide on the console?

If so, you can certainly map 'dmesg' string to be sent by a keymap or button.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730