Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 04-01-2016, 01:43 AM

Mapping the right CTRL key

Just upgraded to v8 (final) and trying out TN3270 emulation, which is a fantastic addition to the product.

Question is: Is it possible to map the right-control key, and leave the left one as is?

This is a mapping I have always used for the enter key on a 3270 terminal, but I just cannot get the keymap wizard to recognise the right control keypress.

Keyboard layout is DK, and platform is Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Many thanks.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:37 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi abw,

I have not ever heard of the ability to separate right/left control keys. Is that the norm for a DK keyboard layout?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-02-2016, 07:10 AM

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for responding.

I definitely wouldn't say it's the norm for a DK layout, but it is kind of normal for a 3270 keymap.

The reason is historical. On a "real" hardware 3270 keyboard, this is where the enter key is.
The other related key is the "return" key which, on a 3270 keyboard, is where the PC has its enter key.
Not sure if I can embed links, but a google image search for "3278 keyboard layout" will show you what I mean.

You probably know this already, but the return key skips to the next available field below the cursor, but does not transmit any data (kind of like a tab function which works in a downward direction), whereas the enter key actually transmits all the data currently in the terminal buffer up to the mainframe.

So the mapping which I am hoping for is to have the PC enter key as the "3270 return" key, and the right control as the "3270 enter" key.

In fact, the organisation I am currently working for actually uses these very mappings for all users (product is an IBM TN3270 emulator, but I have seen these mappings possible in other emulators as well).

-Alan
Old 04-04-2016, 08:14 AM

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the clarification.

I can certainly create a feature request to be able to map the keys separately, since you are asking for the functionality within SecureCRT. However, in looking at the SecureCRT Help file topic Default TN3270 Keymappings, it looks like the Newline/Return functionality has been mapped to ENTER and the Enter/Transmit functionality has been mapped to SHIFT+ENTER.

Do you think you can retrain your fingers to the new keymaps?

Or would you still like the feature request created?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 04-04-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-06-2016, 07:45 AM

Hi Brenda,

I can absolutely be retrained (I'm not that old ;-)

I definitely don't claim to represent the entire TN3270 market, but I really don't think that we are the only ones using right-ctrl as the enter key in mainframe TN3270 applications. Perhaps others can chime in on this thread if they are in the same position.

Anyway, with the right-ctrl mapping possibility, then SecureCRT becomes a potential replacement for other ageing TN3270 products, especially where most users of TN3270, in my experience, are non-IT users who just need access to mainframe-based business applications and may not be as easily retrained as myself ;-)

Whether or not you continue to raise it as a feature request I will leave up to you, but it would definitely be useful here.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:14 AM

Hi abw,

Thanks for the additional info. Meanwhile, the developers/SecureCRT product director let me know the following:

Quote:
It's a feature request. Right now, our code does not distinguish between right and left control keys. And not just for TN3270 emulation. None of our code does. We also do not allow the user to map Shift, Alt, or Ctrl [key only] at all.
I have created a feature request on your behalf in our product enhancement database for the ability to map left/right control keys separately and added this thread to it. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12307" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Tags
3270 , ctrl , enter , tn3270