Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Old 01-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Long delay when logging in with SecureCRT

All;
I am using SecureCRT 7.2.4 and I have to say that it is one of my most valuable system tools. However, when I try to ssh into one of my CentOS6 servers using SecureCRT, it takes upwards of 30 seconds or more for me to login. In order to determine if it is a server or a client issue, I tried logging in to the server using a different ssh client and I was able to immediately login. So my question is this: where should I start looking in order to determine the root cause of this problem?
Thanks;
FSD
Old 01-17-2017, 02:05 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi FSD,

What authentication method do you use to this server?

If you enable Trace Options output from the File menu and see many lines that include either GSS or SSPI in the second "column" of data, that could explain the delays.

For example:
[LOCAL] : SSPI : Requesting full delegation
[LOCAL] : GSS : Requesting full delegation

If you are using an auth method other than GSSAPI to authenticate to the remote server, then disabling GSSAPI authentication method (and Kerberos key exchange methods) in the Connection / SSH2 category of Session Options can help resolve the delay(s).

If that is not the cause, please take note *where* the delay(s) occur and then attach the trace options output as a file to an email sent to support@vandyke.com and reference "Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #12578".

As a note, v7.2.6 was the last maintenance release for version 7.2. You can check your Upgrade Eligibility here (if your license is valid for v7.2.4, it's valid for v7.2.6).

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 01-17-2017, 04:50 PM

Solved: Long delay when logging in with SecureCRT

Excellent. Disabling GSSAPI solved my problem. I can't thank you enough for your quick response.
Regards;
FSD
Old 01-18-2017, 08:21 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi FSD,

You are quite welcome. You did say only this one connection was affected, but if you need to make changes to multiple sessions or all sessions (or just the Default Session), see the linked tips.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730