Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > File Transfer

Old 09-09-2005, 04:23 AM

Question Secure FX / opening Files via FTP

Hello,

in the global options / file types / Edit button / open with field there are some variables used, that contain the temp. filename. These variables are %1 and %L. I'm looking for a variable that contains the hostname, the path and the filename on the remote host, because I want to open the file with an editor directly on the remote host and not via the temp.file.

Can you help me?

Best Regards
U.C.Aul
Old 09-15-2005, 09:33 AM
VanDyke Software Developer

SecureFX can edit a file on the remote machine, but it does require that the file be downloaded to a temporary, working copy on the local machine and edited with the program specified in the "Open With" field as you describe. The file can then be automatically uploaded when the file is modified or when the editor exits.

There is no way in SecureFX to launch the editor process on the remote machine to edit the file directly on that machine (i.e. without the round-trip transfer). This requires a different protocol that SecureFX does not support.

If you have shell access on the remote machine, you might be able to accomplish what you want with a terminal emulator like SecureCRT. This would allow you to edit files with editors that can be launched in the remote shell.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:46 AM

Hello,

thank you for your reply.
I use UltraEdit as an editor. UltraEdit is able to download (and save) files directly from an FTP-Server. Therefore I do not need the Temp-File, SecureFX generates, I only need the information about the remote host and path as a variable I can use within File Types / options. This information should be available in SecureFX.

Davidc said:
Quote:
it does require that the file be downloaded to a temporary, working copy on the local machine
The TempFile does not disturb me or UltraEdit

Davidc said:
Quote:
There is no way in SecureFX to launch the editor process on the remote machine to edit the file directly on that machine (i.e. without the round-trip transfer). This requires a different protocol that SecureFX does not support.
I do not need SecureFX to do any download, because UltraEdit will do that for me.

The reason for my question is the following: If I download and a file via the tempfile and change it then with UltraEdit, the file is not automatically changed on the server (only the Tempfile is saved), when I save the file in UltraEdit.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:56 PM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hello ucaul,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucaul
I use UltraEdit as an editor. UltraEdit is able to download (and save) files directly from an FTP-Server. Therefore I do not need the Temp-File, SecureFX generates, I only need the information about the remote host and path as a variable I can use within File Types / options. This information should be available in SecureFX.
If I understand you correctly, you want SecureFX to call UltraEdit and pass the connection and file information about the file to be edited to it rather than download the file as a temp file and then call the editor. Is this correct?

Are you having a problem using UltraEdit as an editor and allowing SecureFX to automatically upload the changed file after it is edited?

Thanks,

-bocks
Old 09-20-2005, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucaul
The reason for my question is the following: If I download and a file via the tempfile and change it then with UltraEdit, the file is not automatically changed on the server (only the Tempfile is saved), when I save the file in UltraEdit.
In this case, is UltraEdit being launched by SecureFX (i.e. UltraEdit is the specified editor for the file type)? Or, are you launching the UltraEdit on the temporary file yourself outside of SecureFX?

If SecureFX is launching UltraEdit, does this problem happen even when you only open and edit a single remote document at a time?

What version of SecureFX are you using?

Lastly, if this problem did not exist, would you still want/need the ability to pass the extra parameters to UltraEdit?
Old 09-21-2005, 12:24 AM

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocks
If I understand you correctly, you want SecureFX to call UltraEdit and pass the connection and file information about the file to be edited to it rather than download the file as a temp file and then call the editor. Is this correct?
This is absolutely correct!

UltraEdit is beeing launched by SecureFX and this problem does not happen when I only open and edit a single remote document at a time.
But I use UltraEdit very often and I have usually several files opened at a time. In this case saving a remote file only updates the temp file and there is no automatic upload done. If this problem would not exist, I would not need the ability to pass the extra parameters to UltraEdit.
My SecureFX Version is 3.0.2.

Thank you very much for your quick responses.

Regards
u.c.aul
Old 09-21-2005, 08:41 AM

I am not familiar with UltraEdit, but I am willing to guess that it is an MDI application. That is, like Microsoft Word, it opens up multiple documents within the same application window. This is in contrast to something like Notepad or Wordpad that launches a separate process for each document. SecureFX currently works with the latter type of programs, but it does not work with MDI applications when more than one document is opened.

We currently have a problem report in our database to get SecureFX working with MDI editors. I have added your report to that incident and notified the project manager.

Thank you for reporting the problem. If you have any other questions, please let us know.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:45 PM

Hi Ucaul,

We have a pre-release version of SecureFX that should resolve this issue.

Please send us an e-mail at support@vandyke.com with your contact information so I can set up a special download for you.

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 AM

Hello,

I have now installed version 3.0.4 but the error is still the same.

Regards
Old 12-22-2005, 02:15 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

> But I use UltraEdit very often and I have usually several
> files opened at a time. In this case saving a remote file
> only updates the temp file and there is no automatic
> upload done.

Does SecureFX prompt to upload the file once it has been closed in UltraEdit?

Some editors, such as Microsoft Word (perhaps UltraEdit?), lock the file so that it cannot be read by other applications while it is being edited. In these cases, SecureFX has to wait until the file is closed before it can be uploaded.

With a file open in UltraEdit, are you able to open the same file in Notepad at the same time it's being edited in UltraEdit, or does the file first need to be closed in UltraEdit before Notepad can open it?

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 12-30-2005, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Does SecureFX prompt to upload the file once it has been closed in UltraEdit?
No
Quote:
With a file open in UltraEdit, are you able to open the same file in Notepad at the same time it's being edited in UltraEdit, or does the file first need to be closed in UltraEdit before Notepad can open it?
I have to close it first, before I can open it with UltraEdit.

Regards
UCAul
Old 06-20-2006, 07:08 AM

Hy,

anything new about my problem, wich still exists?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 AM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hello UCAul.

Thank you for checking in again.

Our developers have looked into this issue and it won't be
trivial to fix. It is being considered for being included
in a future release after version 4.0. I have created a new
entry for you in our feature request database and we can
contact you when the developers make some progress .

Thank you

JJH
Old 08-17-2007, 02:04 AM

Hi,

is there anything new about this problem?

Thank you!

Regards
UCAul
Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 PM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hello ucaul

No progress has been made on this. If Ultraedit didn't lock
the files, SecureFX would probably be able to detect changes
to the files.

I'll check with the product manager for more ideas about how
to addres this issue and to see if there are other plans to
move forward on this.