Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 12-13-2019, 08:22 AM

Ability to modify saved sessions?

Hello,

I'm working with a client who has standardized on SecureCRT as their SSH access. They are in the process of enabling PKI based authentication via smart cards and are hoping to make the process of enabling this be smoother for the end user.

Looking through the docs and the forum, it doesn't appear the scripting capability provides a method of modifying saved connections. However, I did want to confirm this is the case - just in case someone has figured out a creative way of doing this.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Jim
Old 12-13-2019, 10:12 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Jim,
Quote:
Looking through the docs and the forum, it doesn't appear the scripting capability provides a method of modifying saved connections. However, I did want to confirm this is the case - just in case someone has figured out a creative way of doing this.
I am not sure what you mean by that. Authentication does not seem like something that would change a lot. Why do you need to configure it via scripting?

If you want to apply a certain configuration to many sessions or all sessions, the default session/multiple session change mechanisms are the way to go:
You can employ the power of editing the Default session to make a change to all of your existing and future sessions. Here are some links to tips and a video that provide more details about using the Default session to make mass changes to multiple sessions:
https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/defaultset.html
https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/multisessions.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbuZn9L48g
Since you would be making a change that affects many sessions, the recommendation is to export your config as a backup as a best practice. That can be done from the Tools menu (Export Settings), you would just specify an XML file where the info should be exported.

First, I would suggest you review this post about smartcard authentication.

But yes, in fact, if configured on a session level (and as of v8.7, currently in public beta release, even on a global level), most configuration options can be handled via scripting using the SessionConfiguration object (see Scripting / Script Objects Reference topic in SecureCRT's Help file).

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 12-17-2019, 08:52 AM

Hey Brenda!

Thank you for the reply. Re: the change in authentication, the customer is planning on changing from UID/Password to smartcard authentication. Using the instructions to do that (thank you) requires some manual configuration from the end user. What we are hoping to do, is to automate this as much as possible by automating the changes required in SecureCRT.

While the changes are straightforward, there are some users at this customer site who are not system admins and are more general users. That being the case, anything we are able to do in an automated fashion helps reduce the support costs associated with making this change.

Thanks!

Jim