Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 05-04-2017, 05:49 PM

Question Pre-connect option

Hello all,

In SecureCRT, I was wondering if the pre-connect option (under session options) has the ability to display a banner in the CLI before connecting to the device that I have set up.

Basically it will help to satisfy a local policy.

I want to double click the device in the list then in the CLI "You are accessing blah blah, go away, blah blah."

I have a infinitesimally small amount of experience in scripting, but a decent background in coding.

Is this doable for a noob or am I barking up a complicated tree (or one that doesn't exist)?

Thank you!

T
Old 05-04-2017, 06:19 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

The pre-connect command option is for running a command in the sequence you desire, but the command launched is completely outside of SecureCRT's process space so it won't allow you to do what you want. Pre-connect command was implemented to allow for individuals to integrate port-knocking into SecureCRT's connection sequence by allowing for SecureCRT to launch a port-knocker app just prior to attempting to make the connection to the configured remote host.

Most of the time, when it comes to issuing warning/policy statements, it's the remote device that spews information like what you're wanting as part of an authentication "banner". This approach works to help enforce a policy regardless of the client application an individual chooses to employ when attempting a connection to your guarded system.

Even if SecureCRT could easily do what you wanted, there's little preventing your end user from simply using a different terminal client to connect to your system so that they don't have to see the text you want them to see.

Can you provide more details about the policy you're hoping to enforce and what it aims to achieve?

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 05-05-2017, 08:39 AM

jdev,

It's funny, I had that same thought after posting regarding using a different software and like you said, even if it could, it wouldn't be incredibly useful. At this point, it was more about what is going on with the option and you answered that clearly. Thank you for the reply.

T

Tags
pre-connect securecrt