Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 PM

Problem with colors

Hello,

I am evaluating SecureCRT to determine if it will meet my needs over Putty and am having a slight problem with configuring colors. In putty I was able to change the RGB value for ANSI Black to 45/45/45 so that it showed up as a grey instead. This would not effect the actual terminal background itself, so I could keep a black background and still make use of the ansi black colors codes, such as in my VI color scheme.

However, with SecureCRT if I change the ANSI Black RGB values to my chosen 45/45/45, not only does it change the background for the ANSI Black color, it also changes my entire SecureCRT background.

Is there any way to resolve this so that the background stays black while the specific ANSI color codes are 45/45/45?

Below is a screenshot of the problem:

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the question. I would suggest taking a look at the tip on how color in SecureCRT works. You can find it at the following location:
http://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/colorconfig.html
Without knowing what configuration changes you made, my guess is that you edited a color scheme rather than the ANSI color palette.

Did you make the change to the ANSI color palette in the Terminal / Appearance / ANSI Color category of the Global Options dialog, or did you make the change to a color scheme?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM

rtb,

I edited the ANSI Color (black) itself, I did not alter the White/Black color scheme.

Any help would be appreciated, if I can get this resolved I think I will purchase and switch to SecureCRT full time.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM

rtb,

After reviewing the link you posted I was able to get things going properly. Previously I did not have the "Use color scheme" box checked under Session Options -> Terminal -> Emulation, and so I guess it was setting my terminal background to the value I had defined for ANSI black.

Another question (not related):

I read in the License FAQ that it is OK to install SecureCRT on both your home and work computers at the same time as long as you only used one at a time. Regarding that, typically I leave a few terminal sessions open 24/7 at home so that I don't have to reconnect every time I need to access something, would I still be OK with a single license in this case, or does the software call home or something while it's running and prevent a 2nd copy from being open at once? I would still be only able to actually "use" one copy at a time obviously, I just want to be sure I can leave the session open at home and still be able to use SecureCRT (with the same license) from work.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that the color issue is resolved.

Here is the appropriate section from the license agreement that addresses your licensing question:
"3. USE AND EVALUATION PERIOD. You may use one copy of this Software on one client computer. A copy of this Software is considered in use when loaded into temporary memory (i.e., RAM) and/or installed on a permanent storage device (i.e., hard disk, CD-ROM, etc.). You may also use a copy of the Software on a home or portable computer, provided only one copy of the Software is in use at a time. You may use an evaluation copy of the Software for only thirty (30) days in order to determine whether to purchase the Software."
In other words... one license can be used to register SecureCRT on separate Windows, Mac and Linux machines if SecureCRT is in use on only one machine at any given time.

If you need to run SecureCRT on multiple machines at the same time (whether the platforms are Windows, Mac OS X, Linux or a mixture of all three), you must purchase a separate license for each machine.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM

Ah ok. Thanks. I will likely stick with putty as my primary terminal emulator then, as $250 would be a bit steep for me.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 AM

SecureCRT is definitely one of those application where 'you get what you pay for'. If you think of it as only a replacement for putty, then it's not worth the money. However, once you start exploring its feature set and see what else it is capable of, then you will come to the conclusion that its a real bargain.

If you still have time left in your evaluation, I would recommend that you take a look at the button bar and chat window from the 'view' drop down menu.

As a real life example, I can tell you that the button bar alone saved us a ton of time during a data center upgrade we did just this past weekend. We have 30+ UCS blades running ESX that we needed to issue some commands in order to disable their FC ports (fail the over to iSCSI).

To avoid having to manually type in the commands to run the scripts to enable FC, disable FC, and give me a count of how many active FC/iSCSI connections there were on each machine, I created a macro on the button bar.

I had a session for each of the 30+ blades setup, when the time came, I highlighted and connected to all 30 of them at one time, an auto logon script ran, my button bar changed to match each session I was on (I had a unique button bar per session), and I simply clicked button that said "disable FC" for each session window and I was done. When maintenance was over, I click the button that said, "enable FC" for each session window and FC connectivity was restored.

It is amazing what you can do with that button bar. I also have buttons to start/stop logging, initiate serial connections via com1/com3, etc.

With the chat window, one handy option is to issue a single command to all connected devices. Another real life example: imagine being connected to 10+ routers/switches. Once maintenance is done, you just type "copy run start" into the chat window and it sends that command to all connected devices. Done!

SecureCRT will blow your mind. Also, you will find that the tech support here is pretty active as well. Todd and Brenda are constantly addressing questions from people like us. They don't seem to get upset if you happen to be in a bad mood when you post a question either .