Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 08-25-2010, 03:10 PM

Lightbulb Feature Request: SQL DB Session Management

Hello, I understand that there is currently a feature request for ODBC based Session Management.

I would like to add to the request, it would also be nice to have SQL based session management.

Either way, I think this feature would make SecureCRT a more attractive product to enterprise class business because it's very difficult to share sessions between large teams because of session specific login macros and the like. This feature supports a large business value to Vandyke as implementing it could bring a significant amount of enterprise business that's looking for centralized session management.
At this time I do not believe there is much competition in this arena, and if a good competitor was to release this feature it could mean the loss of existing enterprise class customers.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:53 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello Aralis,

Quote:
I would like to add to the request, it would also be nice to have SQL based session management.
How do you personally distinguish between ODBC- and SQL-based session management? Is there much of a difference (to you) seeing that an ODBC System Data Source can be an SQL server?

Also, how do you envision being able to configure SecureCRT in terms of telling it where to find its configuration info? Would this be configured by the end-user or somehow only by an administrator?

What's preventing you from using a common configuration folder (network share) right now with the current version of SecureCRT (using the /F command line option to point to the common configuration location)?

Quote:
Either way, I think this feature would make SecureCRT a more attractive product to enterprise class business because it's very difficult to share sessions between large teams because of session specific login macros and the like.
Can you help me better understand what it is about "login macros and the like" that currently makes sharing a configuration difficult for you and your organization?

Quote:
This feature supports a large business value to Vandyke as implementing it could bring a significant amount of enterprise business that's looking for centralized session management.
How do you define "Enterprise"? More than 10 users? 25? 50? 100? 1000? more?

Quote:
if a good competitor was to release this feature it could mean the loss of existing enterprise class customers.
Are you saying that you currently are an "Enterprise" customer, and you would drop SecureCRT if only another terminal emulator product allowed you to store connection info in a database (SQL or otherwise accessible via ODBC), or are you saying that you currently aren't an "Enterprise" customer because SecureCRT doesn't currently allow you to store/retrieve configuration info in a database?

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 08-27-2010, 03:29 AM

Seems interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

How do you personally distinguish between ODBC- and SQL-based session management? Is there much of a difference (to you) seeing that an ODBC System Data Source can be an SQL server?

Also, how do you envision being able to configure SecureCRT in terms of telling it where to find its configuration info? Would this be configured by the end-user or somehow only by an administrator?

What's preventing you from using a common configuration folder (network share) right now with the current version of SecureCRT (using the /F command line option to point to the common configuration location)?

I kind of agree. However, I think more of an install change would help. If the feature is added ? Maybe the install could be changed to ask about the initial configuration ?

1. Add a choice to use the default local configuration and point to it. Create it if it does not exist.

2. Add a choice to use a centralized local configuration and point to it. Create it if it does not exist.

3. Add a choice to use a network based configuration. Error out and show the other configuration options if not available,

4. Add a choice to use Database controlled configuration. Error out if the Database is not available and show other choices.

The extra choices could also be added in a custom install choice and only available if the install is custom. For example: Typical person just clicks through. Add a side button or something for a custom install. The typical user will click through and people given instructions before install will have an option to make changes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Either way, I think this feature would make SecureCRT a more attractive product to enterprise class business because it's very difficult to share sessions between large teams because of session specific login macros and the like.

Can you help me better understand what it is about "login macros and the like" that currently makes sharing a configuration difficult for you and your organization?
Interesting also... There is an Admin Template for Windows Domains that is available which could make this point moot. However, for other types of systems maybe having a shared database would help to centralize session configurations like a domain policy ?
Quote:
This feature supports a large business value to Vandyke as implementing it could bring a significant amount of enterprise business that's looking for centralized session management.

How do you define "Enterprise"? More than 10 users? 25? 50? 100? 1000? more?

I think the key word is centralized here. Ok so as an example the whole world is using SCT. How do we control what user in what country has the language, screen settings, font's, and everything else that they need for sessions.

Food for thought but my 2 Cents

Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 05:09 AM

Oh another thought...
---------------------------------------------------
Quote:
if a good competitor was to release this feature it could mean the loss of existing enterprise class customers.
---------------------------------------------------
Really great for the other company. Get sessions centralized. Then they can sell you a support contract at a very high cost and blame it on your network.

In the mean time. The enterprise will miss out on the real worth of SCT. Face it. The world today is how fast can I do it and how fast can I get it.

Lose SCT you will be losing a ton of things this great program does.

Show me:

1. Show me any shell program that supports Windows scripting both in the program and outside.
2. Show me any shell program that allows you to customize the user interface in even close to a way that SCT does.
3. Show me any shell program that has such great support as this forum does even for past users.
4. Show me any shell program that can open websites and work with them.
5. Show me any shell program that can open and work with files on your computer.

If you can show me any other program that can do what SCT does outside of user sessions. I will start pushing that program and support the heck out of them instead.

Lose enterprise business because people are too lazy to setup thier own sessions ? Well maybe ?

Time for enterprise to get smart.. Automate the heck out of everything else. SCT is not just a shell program. It has so many more capabilities and the capabilities keep growing every day as proven by many of the posts in the forums.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 04:09 PM

Thanks for your comments, CR.

Aralis, Don't let cr1275 scare you off or monopolize the conversation. I really would like to have a better understanding of your needs. If you would prefer to communicate your situation and needs more privately, please feel free to send an e-mail to support@vandyke.com with the subject "ATTN: Jake (Forum Thread #6011)".

--Jake
Old 08-28-2010, 01:48 AM

Yes I agree, sorry if I used the wrong wording.

Seeing sessions and configurations in a Database is a great idea. I was trying to add that if it is implemented having different installation options would also compliment the ability. I got the wording all wrong I guess

I have to admit that I was taken a bit back by the thought that enterprises would drop SecureCRT because the feature does not exist yet.

I can understand the need completely. I was trying to basically debate that the current features of SecureCRT are very valuable. That should give enterprise some incentive to keep or even buy new licenses for the program.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:01 AM

Adding on to that. I am thinking you are talking MS SQL with the ability to store the same kind of information that you would find in a local Database like MS Access ?

Maybe MySQL so that information could be pulled off of a protected website (For smaller companies) ?

Thanks lots for the patience
Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Sorry, I totally forgot about this thread until I found something about Dropbox Sync today! Lol.

cr1275 - Great points -- You also made another point about if this was for enterprises that would require supporting different languages.

Jake-
1. SQL/ODBC
I actually couldn't care less. I'm more used to SQL which is why I mentioned it. I personally prefer MySQL because it's free and I don't like MS.

2. Using common network share
two problems with this:
1. You may not have shared values which should be unique such as login macros because those are stored in the session file instead of the global.ini
2. You would have to be connected to the share to access SCRT, this could be a problem - Obviously this is solved by using the Dropbox option -- but now we are storing corporate data on the cloud which is not ideal.

3. Define Enterprise:
I guess that really is subject to personal opinion. I'm really referring to any team large enough to have considerable difficulty managing a shared folder of sessions where it would be simpler to just automatically connect to a "Session DB server" and sync only changes everytime you load the application.

4. SCRT competition:
I am currently a customer of SCRT with a Network Team of about 30 users over several states. We currently do not have one central repository for our sessions so people pretty much have their local sessions and some ones from whatever compilation we had at the time they install the application.
Obviously the ability to have one central repo would present significant business value as it would be much easier to locate routers and switches in their regions if they were already synced to our CRT sessions. If a competitor was to offer this functionality with similar features to SCRT then yes, we would consider switching.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 PM

Aralis,

Thank you for the additional information.

In your original post, it appeared that you wanted session configuration data (information currently kept in individual session .ini files) stored in a database.

Now it appears that you only want certain portions of the session configuration stored in a database.

I'd like to make sure I accurately capture your specific need so that we don't end up considering a feaure that doesn't really meet your expectations.

How would you suggest it be broken down in terms of what information is stored in the common database vs. the "login macros" and other user-specific configuration data that goes along with a session (which shouldn't be stored in the database since it's user-specific and must not be shared)?

Also, you mentioned your team of individuals was spread out over several states...

How would you distribute (or connect to) the database to the various team members?

--Jake
Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 AM

I'm not going to be too specific as I'm sure other teams have other requirements. I think the biggest things that should be optionally removed from the session.ini or session.sql are
-Login Macro (because shared session usually don't share logins)
-Logfile settings (Because users paths are diverse)
-Anything else that is unique to the user that is syncing down a file from the central database.

Obviously connectivity to the database is really the customers problem. In most cases the customer would have the database server on their internal network and regardless of what state you were in, you would be able to connect to the IP address of the central server.

Last edited by Aralis; 05-04-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 AM

I forgot to mention another advantage this presents:

Rapid Intergration
So you run a network of 1,000 devices. Could take a while to create a session for each one right? WRONG!
Now you can just export a CSV or whatever from your network management server (Orion, NMIS, Spectrum, WhatsupGold, PRTG, Nagios, etc.) and import that into your database. Now you instantly have all of your devices in sessions ready to be rapidly deployed to your teams. All they have to do is install the program and connect to the central database.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 AM

Based on your latest post, it sounds like what you need to have stored in the "centralized database" is merely a session name, an associated IP address (or hostname), and a port.

You don't want authentication info, log settings, or other uniquely "individual" settings (emulation, font settings, colors, window size, etc.) stored in the hyptothetical common database.

Is there anything else other than "Session Name", "IP/Hostname", "Port", and perhaps connection procotol (SSH2, SSH1, telnet, etc.) that you *must* have stored in the database?

--Jake
Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 PM

No I really can't think of anything else. What you are talking about would also allow users to set their own visual prefrences like font/colors.

I will say that it would be idea to be able to set custom color schemes on certain sessions - Say I wanted my core switches to show up with a red background but everything else to be black, I wouldn't be able to do this if colors were not unique to the session.
Perhaps it could be done as something like: "session colors scheme overrides default"
Old 05-04-2011, 04:11 PM

Aralis,

Thanks for the information.

I've created a feature request on your behalf, based on information you have provided.

Should a version of SecureCRT become available that might support this functionality you are asking for, we'll be able to post a notification to this forum thread.

If you would like e-mail notification should something become available, please send e-mail to support@vandyke.com with a subject of "ATTN: Forum thread #6011"), and I'll add your contact information to the feature request.

--Jake
Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 AM

One of my colleagues had the same feature request last year:
"Feature Request - Forum Thread #4868"

Maybe you can merge these two and the likelihood of implementation in the near future increases unproportional ;-)