Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 01-10-2020, 05:04 AM

Request for 256 ANSI Color Support

Hello VanDyke support,

I've noticed you only have partial support for ANSI color covering the first 16 colors under "Linux" or "ANSI" Terminal Emulation and "ANSI" Color Mode in your Beta 8.7.0 (x64 build 2109).

Would it be possible to extend support to include the 256 ANSI Colors.

As an example this python script can be used to see how ANSI colors from 16 to 255 are not supported by SecureCRT but they are supported in actual Linux (or linux based) terminals:
https://gist.github.com/WoLpH/8b6f69...728b8c0127d9b3

Can this be added as a feature request for future releases?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2020, 08:05 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi nirvana80,

What are the results when the emulation is Xterm?

Linux as an emulation in SecureCRT is designed to emulate the Linux *console*, which is different from what you get in a GUI/X environment. If connecting to Linux remotes, you should be using Xterm emulation. It's what the built-in Terminal application uses. Note that an emulation change requires a disconnect/reconnect.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 01-10-2020, 09:33 AM

Smile It works with Xterm and True Color

Thanks for your help Brenda.

Using Xterm actually makes a lot more sense

Using Emulation Terminal: "Xterm" and Color Mode: "ANSI with 256color" doesn't work.

Using Emulation Terminal:"Xterm" and Color Mode: "True Color" works perfectly.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:41 AM

Hi nirvana80,

What do you mean by "doesn't work"?

Could you post some side-by-side screenshots of how you think it should look?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 01-18-2020, 12:20 PM

It doesn't work for me either.

The terminal-colors utility. terminal-colors -np
https://github.com/eikenb/terminal-colors

This drove me nuts the past few days. SecureCRT in xterm 256 color mode does not support more than 16 colors. You have to set it to 24bit color mode. This is very easy to test using the above script. Mintty for instance works fine and displays 256 colors. SecureCRT only displays 16 colors.

Because of this the outputted colors between terminals does not match. Which makes perfect sense now that I know one only had 16 colors available. Even though SecureCRT is now in 24bit mode the first 256 colors still match so I am fine. But, I would like 2 days of my life back .
Old 01-20-2020, 07:53 AM

Hi dicen,
Quote:
But, I would like 2 days of my life back.
With all the automation you can do in SecureCRT, you should get that back by Tax Day I am guessing.

In case you are not familiar with these features, we posted our top 5 in this post.

Here's a few more:

Tab Groups
Available as of v8.0 in SecureCRT/Windows, v8.1 in SecureCRT/Mac. If you have a couple (or more) tabs open, and want to see multiple connections side-by-side or top-to-bottom stacked so they're visible at the same time, just drag one of the tabs down into the terminal window area and hover near the right/left/bottom border, depending on where you want to place the new tab group. You should see a drop zone appear as your drag cursor nears the edge of the terminal window border -- at which point you can release the mouse button to "drop" the tab there, creating a new tab group. You'll see the window split into two, with the new tab on the side near the edge it was dropped. With tab groups making more than one connection visible at a time, you can shift-click a button on the button bar or use the command window in Send To All mode, and see your actions in real time (rather than having to click on each tab individually to see what happened there).

Logging variables
Do you want all your sessions to log the commands run and resulting output? Would you like to use a naming convention for all that provides uniformity, yet can be unique to each connection? Would you like to have timestamps on *every line* of that output?

In the Terminal / Log File category of Session Options, you can use substitution variables that will be expanded to the detail they represent. For example %S will be resolved to be SessionName in a log filename. Or %M%D%Y will result in MMDDYYYY format. The separators used in *naming* log files have to conform to those allowed by the OS where SecureCRT is installed. For example, you cannot use %M/%D/%Y in SecureCRT/Windows because Windows does not allow \/:*?"<>| to be used in filenames.

If you wanted timestamps on each line, because this is being written *to* the file and not used as the filename, you can use those separators. In the On each line configuration, for example, use %h:%m:%s:%t -- to have each line of output preceded by, for example:
13:04:09:968 -- line of output here

Default Session and multiple change mechanisms
Now that you have logging options you like, how about applying it to all sessions very easily? How about applying a change to only some of all your sessions?

Since you would be making a change that affects many sessions, the recommendation is to export your config as a backup as a best practice (v7.3.x and later). That can be done from the Tools menu (Export Settings), you would just specify an XML file where the info should be exported.

You change all sessions by using the Default Session mechanism in the General / Default Session category of Global Options. (Or choose Edit Default Session... from the Options menu.)

Once you choose Edit Default Settings..., a Session Options - Default dialog is displayed with many of the same categories you see when you access Session Options from your specific sessions (the protocol category will depend on the protocol presently saved in the Default session).

You can then access the specific category (in this case Terminal / Log File) and make the changes necessary to use the logging variables that suit you. When you "OK" the Session Options - Default dialog you will be prompted as to whether you want to change *only* Default session (meaning these changes will be reflected when you access Default Session at a future time and it's also used when you create/save new sessions) or *all sessions*.
Here's a link to our YouTube channel where you can find even more videos about features in SecureCRT that you might find helpful.

In fact, here's a link to the SecureCRT Training Series video playlist.

ENJOY!!

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730