Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 05-13-2018, 06:42 PM

How to Enable Two Factor Authentication

Hi. I am using SecureCRT version 8.0.4 and trying to use two factor authentication using Yubikey. The problem is that as soon as I enter the password, my session is disconnected with below error:
"Password authentication failed.
Please verify that the username and password are correct."

I am never asked to input the token. I have tried by enabling "keyboard interactive" opion as well, however, it's not working for me either. Can someone please help me as if the SecureCRT supports two factor authentication and if yes, how can we enable it.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi daudparvez,

SecureCRT does not natively integrate with Yubikey presently.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to add support for OpenPGP certificates (Yubikey). Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #13108" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

And even some various workarounds that have been discussed in the forums would be unlikely to work in the version of SecureCRT you are using. If eligible to use a newer version (check eligibility here), and you use the OpenSC PKCS11 library, you may be able to get it working.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-15-2018, 08:46 AM

Hi Brenda, is two-factor authentication considered as a feature for a future version at all? I'm just curious.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:58 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi MarcellusP,

Quote:
is two-factor authentication considered as a feature for a future version at all?
All feature requests are considered for a future version; whether they make the cut for a specific version is a decision that is made by the SecureCRT product director, who takes a number of factors into consideration (number of requests, implementation cost, security considerations, and so on). Speaking specifically about two-factor authentication with Yubikey's 2FA technology in the absence of a CAPI/PKCS#11 interface, that's the feature request that I have recorded.

In a general sense, two-factor authentication is already possible in SecureCRT. Two-factor authentication is the use of two or more different authentication methods to prove in more ways than one to the remote host that you are authorized to access the system. SecureCRT already supports the use of multiple authentication methods such that if a server required both password and publickey authentication methods be used, SecureCRT can already do that.

The certs on your Yubikey can be used for authentication even in the existing right-now-available version of SecureCRT if you have either a MS CAPI or PKCS#11 interface available on your system so that SecureCRT can get at the certs on your device.
  • What version of SecureCRT is installed?

• On what operating system and version do you have SecureCRT installed?

• What specific Yubikey device do you currently own?

• Is there a specific certificate already on your Yubikey device that you desire to use for authentication?

• What specific steps have been taken to configure the server to authenticate the user with the Yubikey device?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730