Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Old 12-15-2020, 11:25 AM

%USERNAME%, but add a specific domain for the username field

Hi there all.

Our team shares the same session configuration for multiple people on the team. The %USERNAME% has been a god-send for detecting the current user for this. A couple of the endpoints that we connect to needs to have a domain\username for the format and the domain\%USERNAME% set in the session settings no longer detects the current user for the %USERNAME%. It instead gets treated as "domain\%USERNAME%" just as you see the text in quotes.

A couple searches through the forum suggest using GSSAPI, but the endpoint stated that it was not a supported format or I did not set it up properly.

What am I missing or how to I wrap the %USERNAME% to still be treated as a variable when I do domain\%USERNAME%?

There is still another option that I am considering with the separate auth config file, just not as ideal since I would need everyone to grab the shared file and set them up to with a how-to process just to avoid the above issue.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:09 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi jdublu,

Where is username entered? (Connection / SSH2 / Username field?)

What version of SecureCRT are you using?

On what OS?

Is the domain of the machine where SecureCRT is installed the one you need to use? Or are you using a different domain?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 12-15-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added bold
Old 12-15-2020, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the quick response and sorry for the untimely answer on my part...work got a little rough today and pulled me away from keeping my eye on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgagnon View Post
Where is username entered? (Connection / SSH2 / Username field?)
The username is entered in the "Connection | SSH2 | Username" field that you pointed out.

Quote:
What version of SecureCRT are you using?
The version I am currently using is 8.7.2x64 build 2214

Quote:
On what OS?
The OS that is being used is Windows 10 Enterprise

Quote:
Is the domain of the machine where SecureCRT is installed the one you need to use? Or are you using a different domain?
The domain of the machine using SecureCRT is on the same domain. but the machine I am connecting to is not, but authenticates via the domain credentials of the domain I am coming from.

IE: username WS/jdublu works to authenticate on the endpoint, but jdublu by itself (via %CURRENTUSER%) does not work.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:47 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi jdublu,

I have added this thread to the following feature requests in our product enhancement database:
  • Add the ability to append/prepend/concatenate in fields where substitution variables are used (%USERNAME% -> Domain\%USERNAME%)
  • Substitution database for credentials
Should a future release of SecureCRT include either feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #14367" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 12-15-2020 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Another feature request that would help
Old 12-16-2020, 08:25 AM

Thanks Bgagnon!!!!

Quote:
Hi jdublu,

I have added this thread to the following feature requests in our product enhancement database:
  • Add the ability to append/prepend/concatenate in fields where substitution variables are used (%USERNAME% -> Domain\%USERNAME%)
  • Substitution database for credentials
Should a future release of SecureCRT include either feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #14367" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

Tags
username and domain