View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb
Hi Tim,

I can tell by your wording that you are pretty frustrated by the current behavior you are seeing in SecureCRT. Here's some historical background to help explain SecureCRT's current "Close on disconnect" behavior.

The "Close on disconnect" option existed in SecureCRT since it's early days -- long before SecureCRT had any support for tabs. It was originally implemented as a response to requests from SecureCRT users who wanted the application to close as soon as the underlying ssh/serial/rlogin/telnet/etc. connection was closed.

When support for tabs was implemented in SecureCRT back in mid 2004, it was decided that the existing "Close on disconnect" session option should close the appropriate tab, and ultimately close the application if the last tab was disconnected. This interaction decision helped to maintain consistency in the existing "Close on disconnect" behavior which long time SecureCRT users had come to expect.

Even though we strive to maintain consistent behavior that long-time users have come to expect, it doesn't mean that we can't add an option to modify this behavior. I have created a feature request in our SecureCRT development database to add just such an option. Should a future release of SecureCRT have the ability to close the last tab rather than the entire application on disconnect, we will post to this forum thread. If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request
Hi again, Todd...

Thanks for the very complete description of How Things Came To Be. :-) I understand that the history of an app contributes a ton to its current incarnation, and you don't want to add every feature in the book that someone might think is useful, lest your app bloat out of control.

Still, I think the option of not having SecureCRT close on last tab close (as a non-default option, of course, so as to please long-time users) would be a very useful thing, at least given my own usage patterns.

I've been almost entirely a user of Putty all these years, but, not being happy with the available "Tabbed Putty" variants out there, decided to buy SecureCRT, especially given my last few roles that have added server administration to my regular programming duties - connections to dozens of servers begs for the use of tabbed windows. :-)

In any case, I hope it's a feature you add sooner rather than later. I can work around it, of course, using multiple SecureCRT windows, but it would be great if I didn't need to do that.

Thanks again for your explanation.

- Tim