View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM

Greetings gunslingor,

Thanks for posting your scripting / automation questions.

Quote:
1. So the first question is, "will it be possible to precisely get this output in a DB importable form using the pipe operator, or is this just far to much customizing for the pipe to handle?". If yes, got any hints?
I'm not familiar with the pipe operator but am assuming that's a Cisco Catalyst related question. Perhaps a Cisco engineer would like to answer.

Quote:
2. In the script, or even in the session itself, how do I make the output go to a text file or similar so that it can be imported directly without having to COPY/PASTE(perhaps parsed first if necessary, which I can handle that part)?
You could use SecureCRT's logging to create a log file containing all of the output, then parse it later using your scripting language of choice to get the information you want. Alternatively, you could run a script from within SecureCRT and read the data, parsing as you go.

Quote:
3. How do I run/create scripts that, I suppose, would use secureCRT or putty to a) connect b)run the script c)output to a text file on my computer.
SecureCRT can host a script engine, so you can run scripts directly from SecureCRT.

Quote:
4. What's the best web reference you guys know of for whatever scripting language you're going to tell me to use?
The SecureCRT Scripting Guide provides information that I believe you'll find useful: Starting from Scratch with a New Script, Recording a Script, Connecting to Remote Machines, Reading Data from Remote Machines, Sending Data to Remote Machines, and more. There are complete examples, and fully explained.

Quote:
I may actually try connecting locally at the console port using putty instead of remotely using secure CRT, fyi.... this is prefered since I'm newer on the networking stuff.
SecureCRT supports the serial protocol so you don't need two different emulators.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]