VanDyke Software Forums

VanDyke Software Forums (https://forums.vandyke.com/index.php)
-   Scripting (https://forums.vandyke.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Running scripts in tabs vs windows (https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=12046)

GJB56 07-16-2015 03:32 PM

Running scripts in tabs vs windows

I have a script that logs in and dumps data from about 2000 devices. In order to save some time I created 5 scripts each logging into 400 devices. I open a CRT session and select RUN script, then open a new window and RUN the other script, and so on...

This is all working fine but I have 5 instances of CRT running. To tidy things up I would like to accomplish the same thing using tabs. Is this possible?

This is how I connect, using v7.3.2:
crt.Session.Connect "/SSH2 /L root /ACCEPTHOSTKEYS " & strSession.

bgagnon 07-16-2015 04:06 PM

Hi GJB56,

I believe what will help you accomplish your objective is to use crt.Session.ConnectInTab not crt.Session.Connect.

GJB56 07-17-2015 09:06 AM

No success. The script->run is grayed out. If there were an option like script-> run_in_new_tab or run_in_new_window would be what I would need/want.

bgagnon 07-17-2015 09:18 AM

Hi GJB56,

Is the connect line you previously posted *all* that is in your script? It sounds like it might perform other tasks also.

If not, perhaps you need to just make the change to Open Sessions in Tabs that is available by right-clicking a session in Session Manager and choosing it from that context menu. (Or, if you use Connect dialog, enable the Open in a tab checkbox option on that dialog.)

GJB56 07-17-2015 01:14 PM

I don't think it is really a problem with the script itself but in the way you can launch the script. I'll try to explain a little clearer.

1. Launch CRT and choose script->run
2. This script SSH into a list of devices and collects data.
3. When the script starts at (CONNECT) a tab opens and the script does it's thing, opening and closing sessions in the same tab.

While the first script is running I want to start collecting data from the next 500 devices. I can launch another CRT session and repeat the above with no problem. Now I have two windows running collecting data at the same time.

All I wanted to do is use another tab on the first window instead of opening another instance of CRT. It's not a big problem for me, I just thought there may be an easy work-around

bgagnon 07-17-2015 02:33 PM

Hi GJB56,

Thanks for the further clarification. That is going to be a feature request because you can't run that new script (to open the new tab and do work) when you are already running a script to do work in the first tab. :)

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database for an option to run different scripts in each tab. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12046" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.